Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke today announced $1,657,854 in funding to breathe new life into community and local sporting facilities in and around Cootamundra through round two of the NSW Government’s Stronger Country Communities Fund.
Cootamundra Gundagai Regional Council secured NSW Government funding for 17 projects, which include upgrades to community halls, sporting fields, arts spaces and gardens around town and in the villages of Wallendbeen, Muttama and Stockinbingal.
Ms Cooke said the impact of new and upgraded local facilities for a community like Cootamundra cannot be underestimated.
“Look around at the smiling faces of this group today, so many different facets of this diverse and great community have come out as winners,” Ms Cooke said.
The projects were announced at the Cootamundra Rifle Club, where members are receiving $63,015 to provide wheelchair access to the toilets and better catering for disabled competitors.
“This is a unique club that welcomes people of all abilities to this great sport,” Ms Cooke said.
“They currently host two major prize meetings a year and this funding will help them host more competitions and attract visitors to our beautiful town.
Ms Cooke also took the opportunity to visit Muttama Hall, which the community are working to restore to its former glory.
“The Muttama Hall are receiving over $140,000 to rejuvenate the hall with major flooring works, making it functional and up to date to allow for social gatherings and commemorative services in this small community.
“This comes on top of a NSW Government War Memorial Grant for $14,290 received back in 2016 to restore the wooden ANZAC Honour Board at the hall, which is being undertaken by conservators as we speak.”
The full list of successful projects is:
- Muttama Hall restumping $140,707
- Completion of Multipurpose Pavilion at the Showground $53,290
- Cootamundra event promotion banners $53,84
- Cootamundra squash court renovation $97,655
- Community safety and beautification of King Street Wallendbeen $55,964
- The Arts Centre Cootamundra Tin Shed Theatre Projection System Upgrade $60,097
- Cootamundra Aerodrome Drag Pad and Taxiway for Water Refilling $160,312
- Cootamundra Rifle Club facilities upgrade $63,015
- Christ Church Hall Upgrade $70,273
- Cootamundra Community Garden $70,242
- The Arts Centre Cootamundra Rehearsal Space $122,294
- Lighting for O’Connor Park Home of the Cootamundra Strikers Soccer Club $98,397
- Cootamundra Junior Rugby League Playing Surfaces Rejuvenation $60,000
- Stockinbingal Town Tennis Courts and BBQ Area $98,600
- Barry Grace Oval Wallendbeen Lighting $98,397
- Cootamundra Turf Club Upgrade $81,970
- Cootamundra Blues AFL multipurpose hall stage 2 $272,800
The $300 million Stronger Country Communities Fund is part of the NSW Government’s $1.6 billion Regional Growth Fund that is employing local tradies, putting local suppliers to work and providing the right environment to operate regional businesses.
For more information, please visit: www.nsw.gov.au/strongercountrycommunities.