Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke is urging local residents to realise the many benefits of dog ownership and adopt a rescue pooch in the lead-up to International Dog Day.
Ms Cooke said August 26 was the perfect opportunity for local residents to welcome a new furry family member into their home by adopting not shopping.
“As anyone who has ever rescued a dog will tell you, they make wonderful and loyal companions,” she said.
“Rehoming abandoned or lost dogs also reduces the burden on pounds, shelters and rehoming organisations and, importantly, helps lower euthanasia rates.
“I encourage local residents to consider adopting a rescue dog today by visiting their local poundand meet their new furry best friend.”
Minister for Local Government Shelley Hancock said the Government provided half-price pet registration for anyone adopting a rescue dog from council pounds and shelters and rehoming organisations.
“Anyone buying an animal from council pounds and shelters as well as 95 rehoming organisations can benefit from a 50 per cent discount on pet registration fees as part of the Government’s efforts to make dog ownership more affordable,” Mrs Hancock said.
“Since 2015, 43,000 pet owners have saved a total of nearly $1.2 million in reduced pet registration fees.
“I encourage anyone thinking about welcoming a dog into their lives to visit an RSPCA shelter, any NSW council pound or shelter or one of the many approved rehoming organisations across the State to rescue an animal in desperate need of a home.”
Mrs Hancock said all pet owners could help reduce the numbers of dogs and cats ending up in pounds and shelters in the first place.
“The easiest way to reduce the numbers of lost and unclaimed dogs needing to be rehomed is to follow the three easy steps of responsible pet ownership – microchipping, de-sexing and registering your pet,” she said.
“Keeping contact details up to date on the NSW Pet Registry also helps ensure a joyful reunion should your beloved cat or dog be lost, stolen or injured.”
For more information on adopting a dog where you live, contact:
- Bland Shire Council – West Wyalong Pound 6972 2266
- Coolamon Shire Council – Coolamon Pound 6930 1800
- Cowra Shire Council – Adopt a Pound Pet 6340 2052
- Cootamundra-Gundagai Regional Council – 1300 459 689 or visit https://www.facebook.com/CootamundraPound https://www.facebook.com/friendsofgundagaipound
- Hilltops Council – 6380 1200 https://www.facebook.com/hilltopspound/
- Junee – Hounds on the Rebound https://www.petrescue.com.au/groups/10030
- Narrandera Shire Council – Hounds on the Rebound https://www.petrescue.com.au/groups/10030
- Temora Shire Council – Paws ‘n’ Hooves http://www.pawsnhooves.com.au/
- Weddin Shire Council – 6343 1212