Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke is urging landholders effected by storms and floods in Hilltops and Cootamundra-Gundagai earlier this year to apply for Government assistance.
Assistance is available through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA) in response to the freak weather events of February 5, 2019.
“Having visited a number of families across the region impacted by these events, I absolutely appreciate the level of devastation and the unspeakably cruel timing of these storms,” Ms Cooke said.
“Farmers already struggling under the grip of drought have watched as fences and livestock washed away. These families and businesses deserve our help.”
Assistance measures available under the DRFA may include:
- help for eligible people whose homes or belongings have been damaged;
- support for affected local councils to help with the costs of cleaning up and restoring damaged essential public assets;
- concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and non-profit organisations;
- freight subsidies for primary producers, and
- grants to eligible non-profit organisations.