Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke today invited local councils to apply for a share of more than $3 million in grants to improve regional and rural landfills in NSW.

“The grants, available under the fourth round of the Regional Landfill Consolidation and Environmental Improvements program, are designed to assist councils in improving landfills and reducing their impact on the environment,” Ms Cooke said.

The NSW Government is inviting councils in regional and rural NSW to apply for grants under two streams

  • Stream 1 is available to councils to consolidate and close landfills and establish transfer stations
  • Stream 2 is available for improvements to landfills and existing transfer stations including fencing and security measures.

“Three previous rounds have funded almost $9 million to regional councils for 43 landfill closures and supported environmental improvements to 66 landfills,” Ms Cooke said.

Previous grant recipients including Inverell, Parkes and Greater Hume have successfully received funding to cap, close or consolidate landfills under Stream 1. Tenterfield Council was successful in receiving $187,000 to close four landfills in its region and establish three supervised transfer stations.

Under Stream 2, councils have been able to use the funding to undertake important improvement works. Bourke Shire Council received $44,000 to fence and improve signage at four remote landfills. Gilgandra Shire Council received $55,000 to increase security and prevent unauthorised access and Bogan Shire Council received $49,000 to install fencing to limit access and control litter at the Nyngan Waste Management Facility.

Up to $200,000 each is available to rural and regional councils which manage licensed and unlicensed landfills, with the grant providing up to 75 per cent of the costs identified for the project. The remaining 25 per cent would be covered by council.

The grants are available to councils in regional and rural areas across NSW with projects due to commence in 2019 and due for completion by 2021. Applications close March 14, 2019.