Six local organisations have received funding for commemorative projects across the Cootamundra electorate through the NSW Government’s Anzac Community Grants Program (ACGP).
Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke has thanked the successful organisations for their efforts in honouring the service of local veterans.
“These initiatives are about recognising Australia’s war service history, educating a new generation and supporting the wellbeing of the veteran community,” Ms Cooke said.
“I acknowledge these organisations for their commitment to the veterans of the region, and for thinking of unique ways in which we can honour their service.”
The following projects have secured funding through ACGP:
- No. 8 Elementary Flying Training School, Narrandera – $2,000
- Purchase a display cabinet to house additional items including war medals and memorabilia from local families.
- Advance Ganmain Committee – $3,000
- This project will preserve war memorabilia and uniforms through the installation custom-built cabinets that will preserve significant war uniforms at the Ganmain Historical Society Museum.
- Marrar Football and Netball Club Inc – $2,650
- To purchase an Honour Board to increase the awareness of the sacrifice that past and present generations have made, and to preserve the history of the Club’s “Anzac Challenge” games.
- Advance Ardlethan – $1,858
- Local signature panels and Soldiers Registrar.
- The two projects will allow the community and visitors to the area to view, read and see the photos of the local soldiers who served in WWI and WWII. These articles will bring a new dimension to the Anzac services each year and be a permanent tactile (soldiers book) exhibit at the Museum.
- The Soldiers Registration Book will be scanned and copies made for the general public to view, at the Soldiers Room and Ardlethan & Beyond Museum. A digital copy will also be made and screened at annual Anzac day services.
- West Wyalong RSL Sub-Branch – $1,250
- Purchase a Memorabilia cabinet to display Medals and other small personal items from the veteran community.
- Wyalong Public School – $2,997
- To undertake repairs to their Commemorative Garden