Keeping an Eye on Vision Problems

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke has announced her support for the Lions Eye Health Program, and is encouraging primary schools across the Cootamundra electorate to take part in this vital initiative.

The program is dedicated towards providing free eye screenings for students, which Ms Cooke said, is something she has a special interest in.

“Early detection of vision problems is something that’s very close to my heart,” Ms Cooke said.

“I’ve worn glasses since I was three years-of-age, after my mother picked up on some subtle signs that I was having vision difficulties. She was teaching at the time, and so was able to compare some of my behaviours, with that of students in the classroom who were having similar problems.

“She then took me off to the optometrist who confirmed her suspicions, and I am forever grateful for this early intervention, without which – I have no doubt – my life would have gone down a very different path,” she said.

Ms Cooke said vision problems can affect learning and overall wellbeing, and can significantly impact a child’s ability to participate in school activities.

“When you consider that close to one-in-five children have an undetected vision problem, programs like this are just so vitally important in detecting and addressing eye health concerns early, and ensuring that every child has the opportunity to reach their full potential,” Ms Cooke said.

Club Secretary with the Lions Club of Young Stuart Freudenstein, said screenings have recently been carried out at Trinity Catholic School in Murrumburrah, with Boorowa Central School the next on the growing list of schools putting their hand up for the screenings.

“We visit the schools ahead of time and work with them to find a suitable spot for the screenings, which involve tests around shape and colour recognition, a special 3D test, as well as a special camera that helps assess eye health,” Mr Freudenstein said.

“Based on the test results, we are then able to provide advice to the school and to parents, on whether students should visit an optometrist for further assessment,” he said.

Ms Cooke said she is proud to offer her support to the program, and is incredibly grateful to the dedicated volunteers from the Lions Club of Young who are making it possible.

“My goal is to have this program rolled-out in every primary school across our Cootamundra electorate,” Ms Cooke said.

“By participating in the Lions Eye Health Program, schools can ensure that every student has access to essential vision screenings, and I urge all schools right across the electorate to take advantage of this invaluable program,” she said.

Schools interested in participating in the Lions Eye Health Program can contact Lions Club of Young Club Secretary Stuart Freudenstein for more information: lionsclubofyounginc@gmail.com

Cooke Shines A Spotlight in Parliament on Local Policing Needs

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke has once again raised the urgent need for 24/7 policing in Cowra during a speech on the floor of the NSW Parliament.

Ms Cooke highlighted the issue, along with the necessity for a new police station in Young, to reinforce her ongoing calls for a bi-partisan parliamentary inquiry into regional crime.

“A bi-partisan parliamentary inquiry is vital in addressing the growing incidence and severity of crime throughout rural and regional towns and villages,” Ms Cooke said.

“The reality is, nothing short of a parliamentary inquiry is going to properly shine a light on this issue, and really get to the bottom of what is happening out in the regions. An inquiry will help highlight the areas of need, and in doing so, identify pragmatic and lasting solutions.

“When it comes to our Cootamundra electorate, an inquiry would provide an opportunity to once again raise the issue of 24/7 policing in Cowra, along with the desperate need for police infrastructure funding, including a new police station in Young, and an upgrade of the station in Narrandera,” she said.

Ms Cooke said an inquiry will provide stakeholders with the opportunity to examine police resourcing, as well as factors behind anti-social behaviour, and potential deterrence measures.

“When you consider that the three regional police regions in New South Wales cover 90 per cent of the state’s land mass, and yet have only one third of the 17,600 sworn police officers based there, clearly this is something that requires ongoing scrutiny to ensure that police resources are adequate, and are going where they are needed most,” Ms Cooke said.

Ms Cooke said so far, the NSW Labor Government has resisted the idea of an inquiry, with the police minister dismissing it as a “talk fest”.

“It’s important to remember, this isn’t targeted at police; our country police are doing the best they can, but a parliamentary inquiry would help to figure out what the core issues are behind the rise in crime, and what our hardworking police need to combat this issue,” Ms Cooke said.

To report a crime, contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. If you or someone you know has been impacted by crime in rural and regional parts of the state, and would like to share your experience as a way of further reinforcing the need for government action, visit: www.regionalcrime.com.au

Photograph caption: Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke is continuing to shine a light on local crime and police resources during the current sitting of the NSW Parliament on Macquarie Street.

Stepping Back in Time with New-Look Walkway

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke was in Temora to officially open the upgrades to the Bundawarrah Centre, including a new walkway for a revitalised entrance to the Temora Rural Museum.

Ms Cooke said recent upgrades have been made possible thanks to federal and state government funding, including $187,200 under the previous Coalition Government’s Stronger Country Communities Fund.

“I have seen many changes to the Temora Rural Museum over the years, all of which have encouraged more and more visitors to the area, boosting the local economy,” Ms Cooke said.

“Thousands of people visit the museum each year to see the amazing collection, so the upgrades to the Bundawarrah Centre will certainly enhance the experience and ensure it continues to be a major attraction in the town, both for residents and tourists alike,” she said.

During the opening, Ms Cooke also had the honour of presenting a plaque to Superintendent Steve Holden (retired), in recognition of his tireless work in showcasing the vital history around the evolution of bush firefighting in the area over many decades.

Superintendent Holden was the District Manager for the NSW Rural Fire Service (Bland Temora Zone) from 2001 to 2021.

“Not only was Steve a member of the RFS but he’s also a volunteer of the Thanowring Rural Fire Brigade which he remains a member of today,” Ms Cooke said.

“Steve has always been committed to serving the community across a number of organisations, including as a volunteer member of the Temora Rural Museum. He was instrumental in the creation of the NSW Rural Fire Service Community Engagement Centre, which forms one of the many historic displays within the museum,” she said.

Ms Cooke said the Rural Fire Service Community Engagement Centre incorporates appliances, equipment, and many ancillary items associated with the vast history of the RFS.

“This display is a credit to Steve’s efforts, and that of the volunteers that help maintain this vital link to our fire-fighting history, including the men and women who have contributed throughout the years,” Ms Cooke said.

Photograph caption: Steph Cooke MP presenting Steve Holden with a plaque in recognition of his work establishing the NSW Rural Fire Service Community Engagement Centre.

Celebrating Our Seniors

24 residents from across the Cootamundra electorate have been announced as recipients of the 2024 NSW Seniors Festival Local Achievement Award.

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke made the announcement to mark the start of the 2024 NSW Seniors Festival, running from 11 – 24 March.

Ms Cooke said the Seniors Festival has been running for over four decades.

“I am just so delighted to join communities right across our Cootamundra electorate, in celebrating the start of the NSW Seniors Festival for 2024,” Ms Cooke said.

“The Seniors Festival is a wonderful opportunity to recognise and honour the invaluable role of the older members of our towns and villages, and show our appreciation for the seniors in our lives, and the countless ways they enrich our communities.

“The seniors in our Cootamundra electorate make such wonderful contributions in our communities every single day. From the local Lions Club, Rotary, CWA, hospital auxiliaries, Meals on Wheels, the list goes on and on.

“It’s so important that we give them the recognition they deserve; of course they never ask for praise or accolades, but it’s really important that we’re able to do that.

“Our seniors bring such wisdom, experience, and vitality to our local communities, and I encourage everyone to join me in celebrating this.

“So during this year’s two week festival, I urge everyone to show your appreciation for the invaluable work our seniors do, and take the time to embrace the opportunity to learn from their vast wealth of knowledge.

“Congratulations to all those who received a Local Achievement Award; your wisdom, experience, and resilience certainly is an inspiration to us all,” she said.

2024 NSW Seniors Festival Local Achievement Award recipients in the Cootamundra electorate:

Jean Maitland, West Wyalong

Barrie Logan, Ganmain

Harry McDougall, Ardlethan

Robyn Ambachtsheer, Cowra

Beverley Rolfe, Cowra

Jim Preston, Stockinbingal

Marianna Halasz, Gundagai

Desmond Manton, Gundagai

Lorraine Brown, Harden-Murrumburrah

Heather Ruhl, Young

Barbara Hislop, Young

Stuart Freudenstein, Young

Bernard Hart, Junee

Paul Armour, Junee

Wayne Heidtmann, Narrandera

Peter Cartwright, Temora

Graham Keene, Temora

Terry Franke, Temora

Neil Crawford, Temora

Greg Gaynor, Temora

Donald Wilson, Temora

Alice Grief, Temora

William Wheatley, Grenfell

Lorna Spackman, Boorowa

For more information visit: www.nsw.gov.au/arts-and-culture/seniors-festival

Photograph caption: Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke with Local Achievement Award winners Barbara Hislop (left) and Heather Ruhl, from Young.

Another Preschool Win for Cowra

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke has announced an investment of close to $800,000 to go towards a stand-alone preschool at Cowra’s Yalbillinga Boori Day Care Centre.

Ms Cooke said she was delighted to announce the funding totalling $797,000 under the Start Strong Capital Works Grants Program, which will create an additional 15 places for pre-schoolers in Cowra.

“It’s well known just how important the first five years of life are, and how vital it is we engage young people in learning right from the start, and I’d like to congratulate Centre Manager Caroline Bamblett and her team, for this great outcome,” Ms Cooke said.

“As the wonderful team at the centre will tell you, there’s always a waiting list, so today’s news means they can accommodate more children, which will provide great opportunities for local families.

“This investment in the Yalbillinga Boori Day Care Centre is an investment in Cowra’s future, and a signal to families here and beyond, that this is a great place to raise children.

“We must do everything we can to ensure our youngest learners have access to the best possible start when it comes to their education, so securing investments for our preschool-aged children has been a top priority for me personally over the years,” she said.

Ms Cooke said she has secured more than $8.5 million in preschool funding for the Cootamundra electorate since being elected in 2017.

“It’s all about providing parents and families with more places in areas of high need, and the new preschool will help ensure more families have the chance to utilise these opportunities here in Cowra,” Ms Cooke said.

Ms Cooke said today’s announcement follows news that the Cowra Early Childhood Services (CECS) has been awarded $3.7 million in government funding to build a new 60-place community pre-school, also thanks to the Start Strong Capital Works Grants Program.

“As the local member, ensuring we have access to these services is just so vital. It goes far beyond bricks and mortar; funding like this will literally change the lives of families and improve outcomes for our young ones, for generations to come,” Ms Cooke said. 

Photograph caption: Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke talking with Yalbillinga Boori Day Care Centre manager Caroline Bamblett about the exciting plans for the centre following the recent funding announcement.

Celebrating our Local Women

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke said NSW Women’s Week 2024 is a time dedicated to celebrating the achievements and contributions of women across our Cootamundra electorate, that also serves as a reminder of the resilience, strength, and talent that women bring to local communities.

Ms Cooke said the week provides an opportunity to highlight the diverse roles and experiences of women of all ages, and from all walks of life.

“Today is the start of NSW Women’s Week 2024 – a chance for us all to recognise the contributions of women and girls across our Cootamundra electorate,” Ms Cooke said.

“Women play a vital role in our communities, and they deserve to be celebrated for the wonderful and tireless work they do.

“We have some fantastic local women kicking goals and doing amazing things in their field, from sport, to small business, education, health, the arts, agriculture – the list is endless.

“But this week is also about acknowledging the unsung heroes; the home-makers, the ones who give their time as volunteers, or committee members – those who are active in the community doing every role under the sun to help our amazing towns and villages thrive.

“It’s a chance for women and girls everywhere to support one another, learn from each other, and enjoy each other’s company.

“Essentially, this week is all about honouring the achievements of women, celebrating their contributions, and inspiring generations to come, so that together we can build a brighter future for all,” she said.

Find out more about the events that are going on this week from Monday 4 March to Sunday 10 March here:

www.nsw.gov.au/women-nsw/awards-and-events/womens-week

New Preschool Secured for Cowra

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke has announced the Cowra Early Childhood Services (CECS) has been awarded $3.7 million in State Government funding to build a new 60-place community pre-school.

Ms Cooke said the funding has been secured thanks to the Start Strong Capital Works Grants Program, and together with input from CECS, will see an investment of $4 million towards building the new preschool.

“It has been a long road to get to this point, so I’m just so thrilled that all our hard work in advocating for this vital project has finally paid off, and that families in Cowra will soon have access to more preschool places in this community,” Ms Cooke said.

“I’d like to congratulate CECS General Manager Libby Ewing-Jarvie and the entire team, who do such an amazing job each and every day.

“Investments in our preschools are quite literally an investment in our future; we must do everything we can to ensure our youngest learners have access to the best possible start when it comes to their education.

“Securing investments for our preschool-aged children has been a top priority for me personally – and indeed for the Coalition more broadly – over the years, having secured over $4 million in preschool funding for our Cootamundra electorate since I was elected in 2017,” she said.

Ms Cooke said the new facility will create additional preschool places, which will then also open up places at CECS for families looking for long day-care.

“It’s all about providing parents and families with more places in an area of high need, and the new preschool will help ensure families have the chance to utilise both preschool and day-care opportunities here in Cowra,” Ms Cooke said.

Ms Cooke said today’s announcement follows news that Boorowa has been chosen as the site of a new public preschool, one of just 49 locations in regional New South Wales.

“As the local member, ensuring we have access to these services is just so vital. It goes far beyond bricks and mortar; funding like this will literally change the lives of families and improve outcomes for our young ones, for generations to come,” Ms Cooke said. 

Best Practive for Worst-Case Scenario on Show in Cowra

Ensuring residents in Cowra are well prepared and looked after in the event of future floods and other potential disasters, was the focus of a mock evacuation at the Golf Club recently.

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke was on hand to meet with representatives of the various agencies and community groups taking part in the response exercise, to hear more about what plans are in place, should disaster strike the town.

“As we know, when the Lachlan River reaches a certain point, Cowra gets cut in half, so it’s vital that we have the resources in place on both sides of the river, to ensure all residents are catered for should similar events unfold in the future,” Ms Cooke said.

“Thanks to the Cowra Bowling Club and the Cowra Golf Club, we have an evacuation centre on the east and on the west side of the river. So it doesn’t matter which side of town you reside on, there is now a very well-equipped evacuation centre for residents to go to.

“As the Minister for Emergency Services, Resilience, & Flood Recovery during the 2022 floods, I – together with the then-Premier Perrottet – launched an independent flood inquiry, which essentially provided vital insight into what went wrong, but also what went right in terms of rescue, response, and recovery during those flooding events.

“And it’s exercises like this here in Cowra, that demonstrates that we have learnt the lessons of the past, and we’re now applying those lessons in a way that ensures we’re better prepared in the future.

“I’d like to congratulate all involved in this exercise, including organiser Feargus O’Connor, Executive Director of Disaster Welfare, with the Department of Communities and Justice, and the close to 100 first-responders from the various agencies and not-for-profit organisations in the town, who took part.

“This kind of proactive approach serves as a model for others, and demonstrates the vital role key agencies and organisations play, in ensuring the safety and well-being of our community members.

“The event highlighted the value of emergency response training, as well as the establishment of evacuation protocols, and the need for ongoing investment in essential rescue equipment and resources,” she said.

Supporting Seniors in Junee

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke said the recent refurbishments to the Junee Senior Citizen’s Welfare Club Hall will allow the group to expand their activities in 2024, and will ensure the club continues to support seniors in the community well into the future.

Ms Cooke said the entire community of Junee will benefit from the upgrades, made possible thanks to a $60,783 grant provided under the previous NSW Coalition Government.

“This much-needed cash injection helps our regional groups do what they do best in serving their local communities, and I am delighted the hall is now equipped to provide the best possible experience for club patrons and those who hire the venue,” Ms Cooke said.

Ms Cooke said the funding was provided under the Clubgrants Category 3 Fund, which provides infrastructure grants for arts and culture, community, disaster readiness, and sport and recreation.

The works on the hall include the installation of an accessible toilet, as well as security upgrades with the installation of security grills on the windows, and CCTV.

The hall now boasts new audio-visual equipment, along with Internet access that will allow the club to host various presentations, information sessions, and small movie events.

Junee Senior Citizen’s Welfare Club Treasurer Barbara Guthrie said the hall is used by a number of groups, and the improvements will ensure all members of the community can take advantage of this revitalised asset. “We are delighted to know that people with walkers and wheelchairs will now have access to the toilets, along with some technology to help us move into the 21st Century,” Barbara said.

Steph Cooke Hosts Police Minister in Young

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke has used a visit to Young by Police Minister Yasmin Catley to once again highlight the need for a bi-partisan parliamentary inquiry into rural and regional crime.

Ms Cooke met with the Minister in her Young office, before they together joined local police for a tour of the Young Police Station, where the group discussed a range of issues specific to the Cootamundra electorate, including the need for additional police funding to address problems around infrastructure and staffing.

“I never miss a chance during parliamentary sitting weeks to invite the Minister to the electorate, so I’m certainly pleased to be able to welcome her to our part of the world, where she had the chance to tour both the Cootamundra and Young Police Stations,” Ms Cooke said.

“The Minister was receptive to the matters that I raised directly with her; she was grateful for the on-the-ground feedback that I was able to provide around matters such as the need for a new Police Station in Young, as well as the need for additional funding for police stations and accommodation right across the electorate.

“I used the meeting to again discuss the community’s concerns around police numbers, and the ongoing calls for 24-hour policing in some areas.

“I continued to urge the Minister to reconsider her position on a proposal put forward by the Country Mayors Association, for a parliamentary inquiry into rural and regional crime.

“An inquiry would give us a clear picture of the changing landscape around law and order, both in terms of police resources and criminal activity, and would provide a clear way forward on combatting these issues, which are not going to improve without a concerted effort to address the unique challenges facing police in rural and regional areas.

“At the end of the day, I left the Minister in no doubt about the need to ensure we have enough police on the ground – with the resources they need – to proactively address and deter criminal activity, and make rural areas a no-go-zone for potential wrongdoers.

“Our police do a wonderful job – day-in and day-out – looking after our communities, and I certainly let the Minister know how grateful we all are to them for their hard work.

“Policing it is not an easy task, and the officers of our four Police Districts – Riverina Police District, Hume Police District, Murrumbidgee Police District & Chifley Police District – go above and beyond, to protect us all.

“The Minister’s visit was a welcome opportunity to sit down and discuss at length the specific issues in our Cootamundra electorate, and I will continue to have ongoing conversations with her on these and other matters going forward,” she said.

Key issues raised during the meeting included:

• New Police Station for Young;
  • Narrandera Police Station;
  • Country Mayors Association’s proposal for a rural and regional crime inquiry;
  • Potential implications for police resources following de-privatisation of the Junee Correctional Centre;
  • The need for greater police presence in parts of the electorate;
  • Calls for 24-hour policing in some areas;
  • The need for police numbers to keep pace with population growth;
  • Domestic violence case numbers, and the need for adequate support services;
  • Matters regarding firearm licence delays/removals; and
  • Stock theft across the electorate.

Photograph caption: Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke, with Police Minister Yasmin Catley, and (back from left) Deputy Commissioner Paul Pisanos APM, Inspector Adrian Matthews, and Superintendent Paul Condon.