Community Input Vital for New Temora Hospital Plan

Residents in and around Temora are being encouraged to have their say on the design of the new Temora Hospital, after plans for the $80 million redevelopment were unveiled for the first time ahead of construction, which is expected to start next year in 2025.

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke said the release of the concept design marked an exciting step forward for the project, which has been in the planning phase since she announced the redevelopment on-site in 2021.

“This was one of the former Coalition Government’s flagship regional health investments, and will be among the biggest ever infrastructure projects in Temora’s history,” Ms Cooke said.

“I’m encouraging everyone in the community to review the design, and provide feedback to Health Infrastructure, to ensure it is fit-for-purpose, and meets the specific needs of our community.

“As I discussed with Temora Shire Mayor Rick Firman at the recent Cootamundra Summit, the new hospital is an investment that will be a game-changer in the delivery of health services in the region, and will ensure Temora has a hospital that will serve the local community for years to come.

“Not only will the new hospital deliver enhanced health services for residents in and around Temora, but it is my hope that the new state-of-the-art facility will also attract clinicians to work and live here, which would be a big win for the whole community,” she said.

The new Temora Hospital will continue to provide emergency department services, as well as modern inpatient accommodation with beds available for medical, surgical, rehabilitation, palliative care, and maternity patients. Other facilities and services to be delivered include perioperative facilities for surgery and procedures, community and allied health, ambulatory clinics, and pathology. Medical imaging facilities will also be enhanced.

Community consultation sessions will be held:

• Thursday 15 February 2024 | Temora Council | 12:00pm – 2.00pm 
  • Friday 16 February 2024 | Outside Ariah Park Coffee Bar | 8.30am- 9.30am
  • Friday 16 February 2024 | Temora Council | 11.30am – 12.30pm
  • Monday 19 February 2024 | Online session (register via email) | 6.00 – 7.00 pm

Photograph caption: Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke discussed the Temora Hospital redevelopment with Temora Shire Mayor Rick Firman at the recent Cootamundra Summit in Harden.

Minister Hears Junee Community Concersn Firsthand

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke said the NSW Corrections Minister can be left in no doubt about the significant impact that changes to operations at the Junee Correctional Centre may have on the local community, following his first visit to the town.

Ms Cooke welcomed the Minister to the Cootamundra electorate, adding she was grateful the Minister had accepted one of her numerous invitations to Junee. Ms Cooke also thanked the Minister for making time to participate in a meeting she convened with representatives from local organisations and charity groups.

“This was the first time the Minister has consulted with the community on the NSW Labor Government’s surprise decision to de-privatise the Junee Correctional Centre, so today was a welcome opportunity for residents to voice their concerns firsthand with the Minister,” Ms Cooke said.

“During the meeting, the Minister heard directly from locals about the sponsorships that current operator GEO Group provide to our sporting groups and community organisations, as well as the scholarships they award to local students.

“The Minister also heard for himself how the inmates currently prepare hot meals for the local Meals on Wheels service, and how inmates help maintain the parks and gardens in the area, taking pressure off local volunteers, many of whom are older residents in the community.

“The Minister now knows how the current operator supports local businesses – from the bakery to the supermarket, and the butcher shop; in fact the annual spend last year alone by GEO on goods and services in the town was $7.5 million.

“The Minister now knows that should the financial and in-kind support that’s currently provided by GEO Group evaporate when they hand over the reins in 14 months, the social implications are vast, and threaten the very fabric that keeps this community together,” she said.

Ms Cooke said questions relating to staffing, as well as the future classification of the centre were also raised, with the Minister also now aware of the broader implications any decisions relating to those aspects of the centre’s internal operations, may have.

“The Minister offered assurances that he would take all he’s learnt here today on board, and I will certainly be doing all I can to ensure that no one in the Junee community will be left worse-off during and after the operational transition period,” Ms Cooke said.

Celebrating the Heart and Soul of Our Regions

Australia Day is all about the importance of belonging to a community, and making a meaningful contribution to the lives of others, Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke said.

Ms Cooke travelled widely across the electorate to mark the occasion, and was on-hand for an Australia Day breakfast in Ariah Park, before meeting up with locals in Matong for the opening of the new hall. Ms Cooke rounded-out the day in Weethalle, celebrating with locals who had gathered for the opening of upgrades to the Country Club.

“Our communities are the absolute heart and soul of our towns and villages; it fills me with such pride to see people gathered together to share in the spirit of the day which to me, represents the strength of communities in uniting us and providing support when it’s need,” Ms Cooke said.

“From our Men’s Sheds, to our CWA groups, Meals on Wheels, youth groups, hospital auxiliaries, our Lions Clubs, the list goes on and on – they all have one thing in common: they provide a platform for people to connect, share stories, and appreciate the comradery of our communities,” she said.

Ms Cooke congratulated the recipients of Australia Day Awards across the electorate, including Eris Gleeson from Young, John Harper from Stockinbingal, Mary Sutcliffe from Narrandera, and Warwick Heckendorf also from Narrandera who all received the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM).

“We need to nurture our sense of community, and it’s the hard work and dedication of people like those recognised with awards today, that help strengthen the bonds among residents, and play a vital role in fostering a sense of belonging,” Ms Cooke said.

Ms Cooke also acknowledged the ongoing conversations around Australia Day.

“It is right that we celebrate our achievements and progress, but it’s also important to recognise the perspectives of all Australians, and have open conversations that contribute to building a stronger nation; one that we are all very lucky to call home,” Ms Cooke said.

The Weethalle Country Club now has a new kitchen and ladies’ amenities thanks to a $240,300 investment by the previous NSW Coalition Government under the successful Stronger Country Communities Fund. The Matong Hall was made possible thanks to an investment by the previous Federal Coalition Government.

Image: Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke lent a hand on the barbecue and in the kitchen at the Australia Day breakfast held in Ariah Park.

More Men’s Sheds than Maccas Restaurants

Following a recent visit to the Men’s Shed in Harden, Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke is encouraging men of all ages across the electorate to consider joining their local shed, highlighting the many advantages joining-up can have for both young and old.

Ms Cooke said there are now more Men’s Sheds in operation across Australia than there are McDonalds, with a number of successful sheds operating across the electorate.

“The Men‘s Sheds in our local communities have a long and proud tradition of providing a place where members can get together, and not only share their skills and craftsmanship, but can also build friendships and enduring connections that provide benefits in so many ways,” Ms Cooke said.

“I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve visited the various Men’s Sheds across our Cootamundra electorate, but the one thing you can’t forget is the warm welcome you get every time you walk through the door.

“There’s often a misconception out there that the Men’s Shed is just for those who have perhaps retired from the workforce, or are more senior members of the community, when in fact men of all ages can benefit from what the groups have to offer.

“Whether it’s learning a new skill or just chatting about shared interests, members both young and old can forge new friendships and develop a comrade with others that they may otherwise be missing out on.

“So as 2024 gets underway, I’m encouraging men of all ages across the electorate, to consider dropping by your local Men’s Shed to learn a bit more about what they have to offer; I guarantee you’ll get a cuppa and a great yarn,” she said.

To find a shed that’s operating in your area, visit: www.mensshed.org or phone the electorate office on (02) 6382 2399.

Photograph caption: Steph Cooke dropped by the Men’s Shed in Harden recently to talk to members about their latest projects.

Celebrating our Local Seniors

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke is encouraging the community to celebrate the positive role seniors play in the local area by nominating them for the 2024 NSW Seniors Festival Local Achievement Awards.

Nominations are now open for the awards program, with the winners to be announced during the NSW Seniors Festival, taking place from 11th – 24th March, 2024.

The NSW Seniors Festival celebrates and acknowledges the important role that seniors play in our community.

It is the largest festival for seniors in the Southern Hemisphere, with an estimated 250,000 seniors participating in hundreds of free or discounted events.

“This annual festival is all about celebrating the positive impact of older people in our families, and broader community,” Ms Cooke said.

“The festival provides an important opportunity for seniors to participate in their communities in meaningful and engaging ways.

“The awards too are a fantastic opportunity to acknowledge the contributions and achievements of our seniors.

“So many seniors go above and beyond for our community as volunteers, carers, and role models, so if you know a senior who helps make our community a better place to live, then I encourage you to nominate them,” she said.

Nominations close at 5pm on Friday, 1st March 2024.

To nominate a senior or find further information on the awards program, phone: 6382 2399 or email: cootamundra@parliament.nsw.gov.au

For more information about the NSW Seniors Festival visit: www.seniorsfestival.nsw.gov.au.

Scouting for New Recruits in Young

Students and young adults in Young and surrounding areas are being encouraged to embrace the spirit of adventure and community by signing-up to the Young branch of Scouts Australia.

Following a recent visit to the newly refurbished Scout Hall, Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke said Scouts is open to anyone aged 5 to 25, who can join either the Joey Scouts, Cub Scouts, Scouts, Venturer Scouts, or Rover Scouts.

“Scout numbers in Young unfortunately dropped-off during Covid, but now that the renovations have been completed at the hall, the local chapter is ready to ramp-up their activities in the New Year, so I encourage anyone who is perhaps looking for a new challenge or something fun to do, to learn more about the activities on offer,” Ms Cooke said.

Ms Cooke said joining the Scouts can help foster leadership skills, teamwork, and resilience in young people.

“Scouting is often thought of as focused solely on outdoor activities, but it’s also a great foundation for developing leadership and other life skills, as well as creating lifelong friendships,” Ms Cooke said.

Ms Cooke was given a tour inside the newly refurbished hall – made possible thanks to a $160,000 grant from the previous NSW Coalition Government – by 1st Young Scout group leader Corey McIntyre.

“The hall not only has a new roof, but the inside has been completely transformed with new flooring, a new ceiling, and a new kitchenette; it’s very impressive, and such a welcoming environment for young people to come and spend time with friends,” Ms Cooke said.

“There’s also opportunities for adults to become a Scout volunteer, so to all the adventurers out there, I encourage you to give Corey a call; he’ll tell you all about how to join in the fun, and activities, and at the same time, make some lifelong friendships,” she said.

Prospective Scouts and their families who would like to learn more can phone Corey McIntyre: 0422 015 842, or get in touch with the Young Electorate Office (02) 6382 2399.

Photograph caption: Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke met with 1st Young Scout group leader Corey McIntyre recently to learn more about the activities planned at the Young Scout Hall for 2024.

Boosting Visitor Numbers in our Villages

A new playground in Koorawatha is expected to be a major drawcard for visitors to the village, after it was officially opened during a ribbon-cutting ceremony at Memorial Park.

Ideally situated just off the Olympic Way, Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke said the new equipment will be a big attraction for travellers looking to break up their journey.

“The new playground is a wonderful asset for the village of Koorawatha, and I certainly encourage locals and visitors of all ages, to come and try-out all the new equipment for themselves, and enjoy the surrounding revitalised recreation area,” Ms Cooke said.

Ms Cooke said she was extremely proud to have supported the project, which was made possible thanks to a $441,360 grant under the previous NSW Coalition Government’s Stronger Country Communities Fund.

“This playground has revitalised Koorawatha Memorial Park and will allow members of the community, along with visitors to the area, to enjoy a modern facility which provides and promotes an active and healthy lifestyle,” Ms Cooke said.

“Residents in villages across our entire Cootamundra electorate are just so passionate about finding ways to enhance their communities, and I certainly applaud projects like this that represent a long-term vision for the future of Koorawatha,” she said.

During the proceedings, Ms Cooke acknowledged the hard work and dedication of members of the Koorawatha Progress Association in bringing the project to fruition.

“Today is the culmination of a lot of hard work by dedicated locals over a number of years; it takes a long time and a lot of effort to pull projects like this together, so I congratulate the Koorawatha Progress Association, particularly Secretary and Treasurer Jane Fisher, for their tireless commitment,” Ms Cooke said.

The new playground features a central treehouse tower, a flying fox, swings large and small, obstacle course, and buggy rocker. Park benches are provided, in addition to an undercover, accessible picnic shelter that complements the barbecue facility, while concrete pathways give access to scooters, bikes, trikes, walkers, and wheelchairs.

Talent on Show at Schools Across the Cootamundra Electorate

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke has congratulated students, parents, and teachers on completing the 2023 school year, and has praised the achievements of all schools – large and small – across the electorate.

“I’ve had the great honour and privilege in recent weeks of attending many school presentations right across our electorate, and I have just been so impressed by what students have achieved; we have a lot to be proud of,” Ms Cooke said.

“Our students really have had an amazing year, and I’ve enjoyed hearing all about the academic and sporting achievements, as well as watching students perform across music and the arts; we really punch well above our weight, particularly given that many of our schools are small schools,” she said.

Ms Cooke praised the work of teachers, school staff, parents, and volunteers in ensuring students are well supported and able to thrive.

“Our teachers are so passionate about their classes and their students, and the results speak for themselves in the classroom, so congratulations and thank you for the work you do supporting the younger members of our community,” Ms Cooke said.

“The P&Cs too do a wonderful job throughout the year, hosting activities and fundraisers that help provide students with those extra opportunities that enrich their school lives,” she said.

Ms Cooke said while she does her best to visit as many schools as possible, it does take time to get around them all.

“There are 82 schools in the Cootamundra electorate, and I visit on average about 20 schools a year – and this year’s no different – so it takes me four years to get around them all. So if I haven’t quite got to your school lately, I promise you it’s on the list; it just takes me a little while to get to each and every one of them in-person,” Ms Cooke said.

“To all the school communities – large and small – well done on another successful year, have an enjoyable break, and good luck for 2024; I can’t wait to see what you all do next,” she said.

Photograph caption: Steph Cooke with award winners from Junee North Public School following their end of year presentation.

Young Welcomes New Probationary Constable

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke has welcomed new Probationary Constable Tom Perkins to the region following his first shifts at Young Police Station, after his graduation from the Goulburn Police Academy. 

“Congratulations on your posting Tom; Young is lucky to have you, and I wish you all the very best as you start your career here in our local area,” Ms Cooke said.

“Policing is like no other profession; it is a selfless career where officers run towards danger to protect us and the wider community, rather than the natural instinct to run in the opposite direction.

“Coming into the holiday period, this is a timely reminder that there is no break for our police, who will be serving our Cootamundra community through Christmas and the New Year.

“Their commitment to fostering a safe and thriving environment is invaluable, and we want each and every officer to know that their efforts are deeply appreciated.

“Please share a thought for those officers forgoing time with their family and friends to keep us safe over the holidays,” she said.

Shadow Minister for Police Paul Toole joined in welcoming Probationary Constable Perkins and all the enthusiastic new recruits commencing duties across the state.

“I am proud to welcome the new recruits into the NSW Police Force; they have taken up the incredibly challenging but rewarding responsibility of serving and protecting the people of NSW,” Mr Toole said.

“These probationary constables are certainly helping strengthen the ranks of our modern and world-class police force,” he said.

Photograph caption: Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke with new Probationary Constable Tom Perkins, Detective Sergeant Mark Lake, and Senior Constable Kurt Lyzun.

Happy Little Vegemite Art Competition Winners Announced

Member for Cootamundra Steph Cooke has praised the imagination, creativity, and talent displayed by the local school students who took part in the Happy Little Vegemite Art Competition.

Ms Cooke said there was an overwhelming response to the competition celebrating Vegemite’s 100th birthday, with entries submitted from schools right across the electorate.

“We had hundreds of wonderful artworks created by local students of all ages, from Kindergarten right through to Year Six,” Ms Cooke said.

“I was just so impressed by the talent on display; the competition well and truly exceeded expectations, so much so, that it was too difficult to narrow the entries down to only two winners. Instead, a winner has been chosen from each year group,” she said.

After careful consideration of the many impressive entries, Ms Cooke said she’s delighted to announce the following winners, with their artworks now on display in the Young Electorate Office for the community to enjoy:

• Kindergarten: Audrey Emmett-Daley – Quandialla Public School
  • Year 1: Charlotte Dicker – Barellan Central School
  • Year 2: Liam Surilla – Young Public School
  • Year 3: Eva Power – Ardlethan Central School
  • Year 4: Billy Petit – St Mary’s War Memorial School West Wyalong
  • Year 5: Taite Johnson – St Patrick’s Primary School Gundagai
  • Year 6: Gracie Elphick – Jugiong Public School

“Congratulations to the winners and to all those who entered; I’m truly impressed, and I commend all participants for their exceptional artistic talents,” Ms Cooke said.

Image: Steph Cooke with Year 2 prize winner Liam Surilla at Young Public School.